Through the years, Outreach Ministries has made a concerted effort to find ways to meet the real needs of our community. God has blessed by bringing us into the right relationships to ask the kind of questions that go deeper than simply what we perceive as needs. This being said, God has provided mission efforts where we can meet ongoing needs. What a great way to develop relationships and build unity with your Sunday Adult Connection, small groups, families and friends! As Ambassadors for Christ we ask you to join us.
- Flood Relief Effort:
Lutheran Services purchased five trailers to be remodeled and given to families affected by the flood in Eureka. On June 10, nine people (four from First Free) partnered with St. Mark’s UMC and the Eureka Salvation Army to work on 4 of the trailers with the families affected by the floods. We would like to continue this partnership in order to help our community. The Salvation Army and St. Mark’s UMC will have a work day on Saturday, July 8. They will need a lot of manpower! This is a great opportunity for small groups, Sunday adult communities, families, and individuals. To get involved on July 8 or any other date please contact Denise Kasten (JeffCo Community Coordinator with the Salvation Army) at 314.267.0813 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for helping people in our community – someday we may be the ones in need.
- Convoy of HOPE:
Hope starts here – in your city, community, or neighborhood. The Convoy of Hope event is a collaborative effort to bring hope to our city through free groceries, health screenings, job services, family portraits, haircuts, prayer, activities for children, and more. It is just the beginning of a movement that has the power to transform people’s lives, inspire compassion and service, and bring people and organizations together. Join others from First Free to serve and love our community!
DATE: Saturday, July 22
LOCATION: Jackie Joyner Center, East St. Louis
TRAINING (required): July 20 at 6 pm at the Jackie Joyner Center, East St. Louis
INTERESTED? Visit www.convoyofhope.org/outreach/eaststlouis.
- The World of Soccer: Soccer is a sport loved and shared by people of many nations. St. Louis is one of the most diverse cities in the U.S., and is proud to host a Cup of Nations Soccer Tournament July 25-29. There have been as many as 50 teams for as many countries participating! As one of the organizing churches, First Free has used this as away of welcoming the stranger, building new friendships, and discipling these children of God to hear and understand the gospel. As with any big event, there is much work to do beforehand. Won’t you join us? Interested? Contact Kim Sjerven (email@example.com). There are lots of ways to serve (not just sports)!
– Prepping fresh fruits and veggies for the players (Thursday, July 27)
– Festival games and activities (Saturday, July 29)
– Team registration
– Grilling burgers and hot dogs for players, families and volunteers (Saturday, July 29)
– Equipment delivery, set up, and take down
- Busy Hands/Full Heart: Please consider joining consider joining a team of men and women that serve in South St Louis city to sort and organize donations for the Rise Together Resale Shop. It’s a great way to do the behind the scenes ministry to the poor, lost, and lonely members of our fine city. This group is also spear-heading the Ethiopian Project to sort donations and fill 200 boxes of clothing, ready to ship to those in need in Ethiopia. They meet once or twice a month. Interested? Contact Bob or Jill Timken at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mission at the Well: Did you know that other churches send teams to the Well to serve (as in a mission trip) for a few days or a week? Our team leaders at the Well can use some help organizing and serving beside these teams. Presently, they are expanding the Resale Shop and could use some muscle. Contact Larry Johnston at email@example.com.